Thursday, January 7, 2010

Middle Of The Night Freak Out

Two nights ago I woke up around 2:00am lying practically on my belly. "This can't be good!" I thought and quickly rolled over onto my side. When I turned, I felt the baby slide across my stomach. No kicks or wiggles, just a huge sliding feeling. I waited a few seconds. No movement. So I freaked out.

"I killed the baby! I smushed her! I crushed the life out of my baby!"

I started jiggling my belly and asking if she was okay. Eventually she moved a little. I told myself that she is clearly still alive and probably undamaged. It took a while, but I convinced myself that she had just been sleeping and that if I had really been smushing her, she'd have started kicking and that would have woken me up.

If she comes out with one side of her head flattened, though, I'll feel at least partially responsible.

4 comments:

  1. she was sleeping maybe! :( god, and people wonder why pregnant women are emotional rollercoasters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember this: that baby is already more dense than your internal organs. Those bad boys are getting squished way before she is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby is in a nice cozy waterbed. You can sleep any way you want and baby will be happy and comfy. If it wasn't safe, you'd be biologically programmed not to roll over while pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i eventually realized that i had probably JUST rolled over that way, found it uncomfortable, and the awkward feeling of sleeping mostly on my belly woke me right up. i probably hadnt been sleeping in that position for very long at all.

    i wouldnt have even thought much of it, except for that crazy feeling of the baby sliding across my belly and then the baby not moving. it was such a scary feeling.

    i'm not a very rational person at 2am, anyhow. at least if it happens again, i probably wont freak out so much.

    ReplyDelete