Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Second Childbirth Class

Husband and I went to our second childbirth class last night. No talk about God this time. (Yay!)

Elise kicked me throughout the whole class. Which was funny because we were learning about pain management and we had to keep taking our own pulse rate, but mine was way up because I was getting kicked in the dinner and it was making me queezy.

This second class was more informative for me than the first. We learned a few breathing techniques, then we had to hold ice cubes in our hands and try to figure out what breathing technique helped manage the discomfort best. I prefer a patterned breathing of one slow, big breath followed by 4 short breaths. Husband learned how to coach me to stay in that pattern. (Husband has really pretty eyes, so eye contact with him is extra wonderful. *Gush.*)

We also learned about different positions for labor and delivery. None of them are very flattering, let me tell you.

What else? Oh, we watched a video that talked about all of this stuff plus other relaxation techniques like massage, visualization, hydrotherapy, etc, etc.

At one point in the video they were talking about how the labor partner should help calm the mother down when she gets off track and starts freaking out. They showed a lady during labor (real, not re-enacted) who suddenly yelled, "Ow! Somebody help me!!!" I totally teared up. The rest of the class laughed. Heartless jerks. Whatever. They'll be there soon enough.

10 1/2 more weeks. Yikes!!!

2 comments:

  1. Please do yourself a favor and figure out what happens to your body the few weeks following delivery. Don't let it be a surprise or else you'll regret it. Not to scare you, but your body does some crazy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the phrase "kicked in the dinner." I'm going to use that if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete