Monday, January 4, 2010

Re-evaluating The Sudafed Thing

So I googled "Sudafed pregnancy category" or something like that and found out that Sudafed is in pregnancy category C. Which basically means that studies have shown that the medication messes up animal fetuses, but there haven't been any adequate studies done on humans to know for sure if human fetuses will be adversely effected.

Ummm...

I decided to stop taking the Sudafed.

I'll just use saline spray to clean out my sinuses for now, and hope that works.

2 comments:

  1. An alternative to Sudafed would be drinking some hot tea with caffeine in it. Tons of well-done studies have shown no adverse effects of 300 mg or more of caffeine per day (3 cups of coffee). The long-ago studies showing lower birth weight infants were done in women who smoked and had caffeine, and all of the low birth weight was due to the effect of the smoking. Caffeine is good at temporarily shrinking nose blood vessels that make you stuffy. Plus the steam from the tea aerosolizes some moist warm air into your nose that will also help. Blood vessels in the nose enlarge during pregnancy, so that's likely why you feel stuffy. Also, staying well hydrated (especially in dry winter air and indoor heating) will help your nosey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I liked tea! I hate it. All kinds. Hot, cold, herbal, whatever. I just can't drink it.

    Can I eat chocolate for the caffeine instead? Lots and lots and lots of chocolate.

    ReplyDelete