Monday, January 18, 2010

Weeble Wobble

I have been so off-balance lately. I fall back over when I try to stand up, I can't turn quickly or carry things that weigh more than my purse without feeling unsteady.

One of the things that surprised me earlier in the pregnancy was how soon the off-balance feeling starts. Early in my 2nd trimester, before I was even showing much, I started to get really off-centered. But then I read that as your uterus is growing and your guts start getting rearranged, your center of balance changes. There's an adjustment period. And sure enough, within a few weeks I was relatively stable again.

Now, my center of balance has changed because I have a big old basketball-sized baby lump projecting from my midsection. I don't think that I'll recover from this bout of wobbles until my dear little counterweight arrives.

Until then, I shall use all available hand rails and always walk near a wall. Because believe me, getting up off of the floor is no easy task.

2 comments:

  1. I've started not wearing socks in the house, or making sure I am wearing shoes in the house to keep from slipping from being off centered. We have two staircases and I have slipped (but not fallen) on the carpeted one already. The wooden painted one looks scarier, but maybe I am automatically more cautious on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you heard of the ig-Nobel awards? they are awards for the silliest scientific research that has been done in the past year. this year, somebody won one of the awards for doing research on why pregnant ladies don't tip over.

    i laughed at first.

    but now i really wonder...

    ReplyDelete