Thursday, January 28, 2010

Linea Negra

I've had a linea negra for a few months now. It's that dark line that pregnant ladies get down the middle of their bellies. My skin is very fair, so my line isn't all that dark, but it IS noticeable. The change in pigmentation is caused by hormones. Mine starts at the top of where my uterus is, goes around the right side of my belly button (no dark pigmentation on the left side for some reason) and proceeds down my belly, past the horizon line. I can't see the underside of my belly anymore, so I'm not quite sure where it ends.

I always thought that linea negras were weird, but now I'm kind of glad for mine. It proves I don't just have a beer belly or extremely unfortunate lipid distribution.

Speaking of...

When I was 19 I had this boss who I swear looked like she was about 6 months pregnant. She wasn't. She had thin legs and arms and everything, but her belly was huge. Not her whole middle-- just her belly. Kind of like those pictures you see of people with basketball-sized tumors in their stomachs.

People were always asking my boss "so when are you due?" And she was NOT nice about it. I mean, seriously-- she looked pregnant! I'm sure it was something that made her self-conscious, but the little old ladies trying to strike up a conversation while they waited for her to check out their movies didn't mean any harm.

I wonder what her belly would look like if she did get pregnant. Oh man. People would be saying "looks like you're having twins!" I totally have to try and find her on some of those social networking sites.

Sometimes when strangers ask me "so when are you due?" a mean part of me wants to pretend that I'm not pregnant. But I get too excited at an opportunity to talk about Elise and I just tell the truth.

3 comments:

  1. Your poor boss. She probably had liver failure. That makes you skinny everywhere but your belly because you leak fluid into it :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no! why wouldnt a doctor tell her about that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, but LOL. Liver failure or not.

    ReplyDelete