Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Breastfeeding Class

Boobs are awesome.

Husband and I went to a class about breastfeeding last night. It was informative and the instructor was good. We talked about myths and facts, the mechanics of breastfeeding and how it should feel, how many wet and poopy diapers the baby should have and what the poop looks like (babies sometimes pee orangish-red the first day or two!), positions for holding your baby (we used dolls for that), how to get a good latch from the baby, and nutrition while breastfeeding.


I'm really hoping to breastfeed for at least a year. I'm hoping that I don't even have to supplement with formula and that Elise can breastfeed exclusively, adding solid foods to her diet at the appropriate time.

Husband said, "You'll need to get one of those breastfeeding cloaks." I'm hoping that a blanket will work.

One thing that I learned from the class that I didn't know yet is that your milk jugs keep growing for a week or two after the baby is born. I knew that they got bigger when the second milk comes in, but I didn't realize that it could take that long for them to reach their full potential. No point in getting nursing bras right away.

There is a breastfeeding support group here in town, too. Not sure what that's all about, but maybe once I get started breastfeeding I'll understand it better.

Alright, Boobies! Get ready! 7 more weeks!

2 comments:

  1. 1. Rabbits can also pee orange. So my baby will will fit right in at our house.
    2. I like "nursing cloak" better than nursing shawl. It sounds more mysterious and powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they should make nursing snuggies.

    ReplyDelete