Monday, February 8, 2010

Husband's Hospital Bag Is Packed

7 weeks to go, and Husband is ready to run out the front door, if need be. He packed his hospital bag last night. Of course, Husband needs to bring a lot less stuff with him than I do. I started my bag, but I didn't get very far.

Husband packed 2 pairs of underwear, 2 t-shirts, a pair of shorts, his swimming trunks (to get in the bath tub with me, if we want), pajama pants, and his toiletries. We still need to pick up a few protein bars or something for a snack that he can eat. We heard that the hospital cafeteria is pretty good, but Husband is worried that he won't want to leave me and wants to bring some food just in case.

What else does he need to bring? I'm sure that we'll think of more stuff to throw in his bag, but that's why we're packing early-- so that by the time we really do need to leave for the hospital, we'll have thought of everything and packed accordingly.

4 comments:

  1. These are all direct quotations from my husband:
    "Screw bringing a book because you'll be more concerned with your wife and her labor and then your child. You'll have no time to read anything."
    "Bring ibuprofen or some kind of pain killer for your head, because the hospital won't give you any because you aren't a patient."
    "Understand that once you are there, you're an after thought to everyone, including your wife."
    "A jacket. And your own pillow."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pillow and blanket. Just make sure to not use a white pillowcase or sheet so the cleaning staff don't think they belong to the hospital and send them off to be laundered.

    headache medicine, socks, long pants, sweatshirt, snacks, cell phone/calling card and list of phone numbers of your parents & siblings, cash for snacks/caffeine from vending machines, glasses, camera (get someone to take your first family pic before you leave the hospital), identification (to get into locked maternity ward & to get birth cert), # for pet sitter

    ReplyDelete
  3. My OB advised me not to pack until labor starts, as most women are in early labor for 7 to 12 hours before they should go to the hospital (contractions every 5 minutes for 2 hours). The idea is to give the mama something to do until she is ready to go to the hospital. She suggests sleeping, taking a walk, showering, packing a bag, reading, or something else quiet and restful. Family & friends tell stories of women who cooked five course meals, cleaned the entire house, ran a 5K race (not joking), anything to keep occupied during this stage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, pack your bag. My water broke spontaneously and your's could too. Don't diregard that method of birth. It took me by surprise and I was super glad I had my bag (overly) packed.

    ReplyDelete