Friday, February 19, 2010

Vegetarian and Pregnant

Did I ever explain that I'm vegetarian? I think I mentioned it in passing. I eat eggs and dairy, so I guess that makes me a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I don't eat fish.

I just want to say that my diet has created no problems with my pregnancy. I make sure to get enough protein with the eggs, dairy, and soy products that were already a part of my diet. I eat a lot of greek yogurt now, because it has a good deal of protein in it. And, of course, I take my prenatal vitamins.

I wondered when I first got pregnant if I would crave meat. I've heard that a lot of vegetarian women do. I wondered if I would give in to that craving. I've been a vegetarian for about 12 years, and I just didn't know how my body would react to eating meat again.

I haven't had a single craving for meat, though. I guess that I'm getting enough protein elsewhere. I never much liked the taste of meat in the first place. I love the sauces that go on meat-- barbecue, sweet and sour, stuff like that. But I just put those sauces on vegetarian dishes and I'm as happy as I ever was with a piece of chicken or pork. So there's no part of me that "misses" meat or feels deprived by not eating it.

Husband and I talk about what we'll do with regard to Elise's diet. I think that the agreement (correct me if I'm wrong, Husband) is that she'll be vegetarian until she has her own curiosity about meat. Until she herself wants it. Not in a babyish way where they want to put every single thing within reach into their mouth. But in a sincere I'd-like-to-try-that sort of way. Foster Son eats meat and we don't stop him from having it. We eat vegetarian at home, but when we go out to restaurants, Foster Son usually wants chicken nuggets or a hamburger. Husband usually has chicken. Plus, Foster son has breakfast and lunch at preschool 5 days out of the week, and those meals are certainly not vegetarian.

Maybe Elise won't even like meat, since I've never given it to her in the womb. Who am I kidding? I've basically ensured that she'll grow up to own a slaughterhouse, right? She'll have to rebel somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment